Back Rent Collection – Get on it Immediately!

Collect your back rent as soon as feasible. Clearly, it is a part of the rent collection procedure and not especially cheerful, however after you let the situation spin out of control, you will make collecting sometimes more difficult. If you do not allow that happen, you will have a significantly simpler occasion receiving rent that is later than usual. The 1st second your renter is behind schedule on money owed, you should step up to the plate!

It is valuable to get on it fast, however be judicious with doing so in person since that could lead to conflict. The ideal thing to do is send out a letter to the renter. The correspondence does not have to be sent certified and is not a legal paper. Be certain to send out your letter to the exact property and have the the required postage on it; this way, the second you mail it, it will be classified acknowledged. The subject of the correspondence must courteously say that he or she must notify you to solve the problem as soon as doable.

When the renter offers you some of the monies, it would be sensible to take it. And you ought to present the renter a receipt for the quantity of money you are handed noting that this is simply some of the money and that they are still obliged to shell out the balance of their money owed.

It is completely within your rights as a property owner to look into how substantial a circumstances your renter may be in. You are permitted to look into if they still have a job. If your original rental agreement does not avoid you from communicating with their employer, you might do so to determine if they are currently working at their job.

Additionally, the Fair Credit Reporting Act lets you to check their credit report once more if they are financially indebted to you (with back monies. Your property application is considered a legal paper and nearly always contains a clause noting that this is allowable.

Although it is inside your privileges to do so, it will not be of much benefit to you. Regardless of the renter maybe being unemployed and carrying extra debt, if they come up with the rent money, you can not send them packing. The only thing that getting this updated information may do for you is to give you personal rules as to how much breathing room you will assign them for closing out the balance of their rent.

What you do not want to have happen, if you can dodge it, is not collecting the rent and still having the renter in the apartment. If this happens, you are left with no options but throwing them out.

The first step is to send your renter a Notice to Quit which is considered a legal paper. This paper tells your late renter that they have a certain duration of time to pay you their back rent (usually between three and fourteen days depending on what city your property is located). If they can come up with the late balance, they are permitted to remain living there. If they can not, they must vacate.

If the renter vacates still owing you back payments, you might have to gather the overdue amount in some other way.

The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) was established to protect consumers (in this case, your renter) from abuse by debtcollectors. The FDCPA states that a property owner is not considered a debt collector since they are acting on their own behalf. But even though you are not subject to the rules of the FDCPA, you can not use the same abusive and often, corrupt practices that the FDCPA disallows.

If your building is managed by someone other than yourself (for example, a residential property manager that lives on the site or you have hired a property management company to manage your property), they are not considered debt collectors either. This is for the reason that the rental payments are not owed to another individual or property management company. Know that, neither you nor your management company (if they look after your property) can mention a third party debt collector during the collection process. If you do, you are considered a debt collector and are subject to the practices of a debt collector under the FDCPA.

If you discover yourself unable to acquire your back payments paid in it’s entirety, you may have to sue the renter for breech of his rental agreement. If this occurs, you can maintain eviction on your own or hire an lawyer who is more familiar with the legal paperwork needed to complete the process to the courts satisfaction.

So, get on it now!

By Stirling Gardner (The Hollywood Landlord) is a writer and property management expert on

I currently use Rent Recovery Service collection service, they provide a flat fee program that has been extremely helpful in recovering my money.  Plus I get to keep all the money my tenant’s pay!!!  To find a collection agency visit my site here or visit Rent Recovery Service.

Comments are closed.